Prof. Yuan Daoxian
Date of Birth: August 24th,1933
Place of Birth: Zhejiang, China
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL OCCUPATION:
Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Senior research scientist at theInstitute of Karst Geology,Professor at the Guangxi Normal University, Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences. Professor at the China University of Geosciences, teaching environmental geology and karst hydrogeology. Professor at the Nanjing University, Departments of Geology and Geography.
The Institute of Karst Geology, 50 Qixing road, Guilin, Guangxi, China 541004
Tel. +86-773-5834232 (office)
Tel. +86-773-5813179 (home)
Fax : +86-773-5813708
Cable : 3310
Email : email@example.com
Graduated from the College of Geology in Nanjing, May, 1952; Hydrogeologist, July,1956, awarded by the Ministry of Geology; Professor of Geology, April,1981, diploma awarded by the Ministry of Geology and authorized by the State Bureau of Science and Technology Personnel; Chinese Academy of Sciences, elected as Academician at 1991, Beijing.
FORMER PROFESSIONAL OCCUPATION
- 1953-1955: Deputy Chief of Engineering Geological Team of Sanmenxia Dam Site on Yellow River;
- 1955-1956: Geologist for the Tibet Engineering Research Team of State Council.
- 1957 : Chief Geologist for the Wujiang River Engineering Geology Team, Yangtze River Planning Office of State Council.
- 1958 : Chief Hydrogeologist at Hydrogeology Survey of Shangdong Province.
- 1959-1964: Chief Hydrogeologist at Hydrogeology Survey of Yunnan Province.
- 1964 -1966: Deputy Chief Engineer at Nanjiang Geological Survey, Ministry of Geology,in charge of the engineering geological survey for the southern section of Chendu-KunmingRailway.
- 1966-1978: Deputy Chief Engineer at the No.6 Hydrogeological Survey,Ministry of Geology, in charge of karst water resources research in Southern China.
- 1978 -1986 : Director of the Institute of karst geology.
- Member of the 32nd and 35th Council of the Geological Society of China.
- Member of Chinese National Committee of International Hydrological Program(IHP),UNESCO.
- Member of Chinese National Committee of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program(IGBP), ICSU.
- Member of Commission on Karst Hydrogeology, International Association of Hydrogeologists(IAH).
- Vice Chairman of Chinese National Committee, IAH.
- President of Commission on Karst Geology,the Geological Society of China.
- Member of Commission on Quaternary Geology, the Geological Society of China.
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board for Environmental Geology,an International Journalof Geosciences,
EXPERIENCES ON INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC EXCHANGE
- Visited Yugoslavia for a karst hydrogeology tour, Jan.1981.
- Visited France for a karst hydrogeology tour, May-June,1981.
- Keynote speaker at a session of karst environmental problems, 149th annual meeting of American Asssociation for the Advancement of Sciences(AAAS),
- visited USA for a karst hydrogeology tour, and gave lectures at Nevada and Florida Universities, May-June,1983.
- At the invitation of Royal Society and Oxford University, gave lecture at School of Geography,Oxford University, and toured karst in England, Oct.-Nov. 1984.
- Chaired the session of karst geomorpholghy in the First International Conference of Geomorphology, Manchester, UK, September, 1985;
- Scientific Advisor and coordinator to the Sino-British Cave Expedition, 1985;
- Leader of Chinese side for the Sino-French cooperative project, the Guilin Karst Hydrogeological experimental site, 1986 -1990;
- Keynote speaker at the Second International Conference on Sinkhole,Orlando,FL., USA, Feb.1987.
- Editor of proceedings and keynote speaker for the 21st Congress of IAH, Guilin,China, Oct. 1988;
- Convenor of the sessions on "surface Subsidence" and "karst Hydrogeology" at the 28th International Geological Conference, Washington, D.C, July,1989;
- Leader of the UNESCO/IUGS IGCP 299"geology,climate,hydrology and karst formation" (1990-1994)
- Leader of the UNESCO/IUGS IGCP 379 "karst processes and the carbon cycle"(1995-1999)
- Grants from the National Natural Science Foundation of China:
1.karst geochemistry (project 4860145, 1987 -1990);
2.karst environment (project 49070155,1991-1994);
3.global change records in speleothem(project 49472170,1995-1998);
- Grants from the Ministry of Geology and Mineral resources: Formation of karst in China (project 8502218, 1992-1995);
- Grant from Ministry of Land and Resources(Evolution of karst environmental system,1997-2000).
AWARD International Association of Hydrogeologists (IAH) President's Award 1996
SELECTED PUBLISHED WORKS
- On the distribution of earthquake during the past fifty years in the Middle Reach of Yarlung Zanbao River,Tibet(in Chinese), 1958, Quaternaria Sinica, Vol.1, No.1, P221-223, Science Press, Beijing.
- Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau karst and its hydrogeological problems(in Chinese), 1965, Proceedings of the first national symposium on hydrogeology and engineering geology, P124-126, the Geological Society of China, Beijing.
- Technical requirements for regional hydrogeological survey in karst terrains, authorized by the Ministry of Geology(in chinese), 1976, 51 pages, Geological Publishing House, Beijing.
- Karst hydrogeology for water supply( in Chinese), 1979, 356 pages, with 260 illustrations and 56 tables, Geological Publishing House, Beijing.
- A brief introduction to China's research in karst,1981, 35 pages, 12 illustrations, 7 tables, 12 photos , the Institute of Karst Geology, Guilin, China.
- On the underground stream and cave system of Soliao karst area,Bama County, Guangxi, China, 1981, Proceedings of the Eighth International Congress of Speleology, USA, Vol.1, P317-318.
- On the controlling factors for the different degree of heterogeneity of karst water (in Chinese), 1982, Proceedings of the 2nd all-China symposium on karst, P77-85, The Science Press, Beiling.
- Current task of karst research ( in Chinese, with English abstract),1982, Carsologica Sinica, Vol.1, No.1, P4-9.
- Problems of water resources estimation in karst teerrains (in Chinese),1982, Proceedings of the all-China symposium on groundwater resources estimation,Geological Publishing House, Beijing.
- Problems of environmental protection of karst area,1983, 14 pages, with 12 illustrations, 10 photos, paper presented at the annual meeting of AAAS, Detroit, USA, the Institute of Karst Geology, Guilin, China.
- On the heterogeneity of karst water, 1985,karst water resources( Proceedings of the Ankara-Antalya symposium, July,1985), IAHS publ. no.161, P281-292.
- Some characteristics of groundwater protection in karst area, 1986, IAH memoires, vol.XIX, part 2, p135-142, Novinar Publishing House, Praha.
- New observations on tower karst, 1986, International Geomorphology, Part II, P1109-1123, John Wiley and Sons LTD.
- Chemical components of ground water in the Guilin area of China,joint paper with Kazuhisa Yoshimura, 1986, Journal of the Speleological Society of Japan, Vol.11, P51-56.
- Formation of karst cavities and comparison between carbonate dissolution rates in China and some other parts of the world( in Chinese, French, with English abstract), joint paper with C.Drogue, 1987, Carsologica Sinica, Vol.6,No.2,P127-136.
- Keynote address:environmental and engineering problems of karst geology in China,1987, Proceedings of the second multidisciplinary conference on sinkholes and the environmental impacts of karst, Orlando, FL.USA, P1-11, A.A.Balkema/Rotterdam/Boston.
- Editorial-an environment worthy of special attention, 1988, Environmental Geology and Water sciences, Springer, Vol.12,no.1, P1-2.
- The science of karst environment (in Chinese, with English summary),1988, 332 pages, with 120 illustrations, 21 colour photos, Chongqing Publishing House, Chongqing, China.
- A guide to the Guilin karst hydrogeology experimental site,1988,20 pages,with 8 illustrations,4 tables, the Institute of Karst Geology.
- Glossary of karst geology ( in Chinese, with English indices), 1988, Geological Publishing House, Beijing,China.
- Influence of human activities to karst hydrological system,1989, Progress in Geosciences of China(1985-1988)-papers to 28th IGC, Vol.III, P209-211, Geological Publishing House, Beijing, China.
- Hydrology of the karst aquifer at the experimental site of Guilin in South China,1990, joint paper with C.Drogue, Journal of Hydrology, 115(1990)285-296, Elsevier, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Karst in South China and its comparison with North China karst, 1990, Studia Carsologica,3, P5-18, Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Inst. of Geography, Brno.
- Karst of China, 1991, 224 pages, with 48 colour photos, Geological Publishing House, Beijing.
- IGCP 299 "geology, climate, hydrology and karst formation" ,joint paper with William Back, Episodes, 1991, Vol.14, No.1, P80-81.
- Karst and karst water in China,1992, in IAH book "hydrogeology of selected karst regions", edited by W.Back and H.Paloc, Verlag Heinz Heise, P315-338.
- Carbon cycle and global karst, ( in Chinese with English abstract), 1993, Quaternary Science, no.1, P1-6, Science Press, Beijing.
- Environmental change and human impact on karst in South China 1993, in Paul.W.Williams (editor), karst terrains, environmental change and human impact, Catena supplement 25, Cremlingen, P99-107.
- Karst in China,1995, Episodes, Vol.18, No.1-2, P62-65.
- Modern karst study related to global change, in China Contribution to Global Change Studies(edited by Ye Duzheng, Lin Hai et al), Science Press, Beijing, P126-132.
- Sensitivity of karst process to environmental change along the PEP-II transect, 1997,Quaternary International,Vol.37,p.105-113
- The Carbon Cycle in Karst, Z.Geomorph.N.E, Suppl-Bd. 108,91-102,July,1997
- Environmental Geology(Ed.),Proceedings of the 30th International Geological Congress,Vol.24,VSP, The Netherlands,,1997,pp299
- Rock Desertication in the Subtropical Karst of South China,July ,1997,Z.Geomorph.N.F. Suppl.-Bd.108, 81-90
- Contribution of IGCP 379"Karst processes and carbon cycle"? to global change, Episodes, Sept. 1998, vol.21,No.3, p.198
- Global Karst Correlation,Final Report of IGCP 299 "Ecology,Climate,Hydrology and Karst Formation"(Ed),1998,Science Press,Beijing, VSP Publisher,The Netherlands, pp.308, 70 colour photos
- High Resolution Paleoenvironmental Reconstruction up to 200,000 years BP with Speleothem from Guilin, Yuan Daoxian et al, 1999, Guangxi Normal University Press, pp.69,
- Remarks on Earth System Science,March,1999, Geological Journal of China Universities, Vol.5, No.1, p1-6